- If Kristen Stewart Were Your Girlfriend, a piece by the unspeakably incredible Mallory Ortberg.
- In reaction to the rising wave of anti-Semitism in Europe, Norwegian Muslims will form a human shield around an Oslo synagogue on Shabbat morning this weekend.
- Pussy Riot has released their first song in English; it’s about the Eric Garner protests and police brutality. Here’s the music video.
- Groups like the ACLU, the Tea Party-backed FreedomWorks, the Center for American Progress, and the Koch brothers are all uniting behind a single issue: overhauling America’s broken criminal justice and prison systems.
- Mayor Bill deBlasio is taking steps to dismantle the school-to-prison pipeline, beginning with an update to the New York public school system’s discipline code that will make it more difficult to suspend students for “insubordination” (a loosely defined term that students report means everything from cursing to wearing a Gay Pride bracelet to leaving the classroom without teachers’ permission, and often results in students feeling that since they spend more time suspended than actually going to class, they don’t belong in the classroom.) The update will also make it more difficult to use physical restraints on students under the age of 12.
- Jupiter Ascending is a thing that exists in this world in which we live. It has Channing Tatum as a space werewolf on gravity roller skates, Sean Bean as a bee named Stinger, and Eddie Redmayne in the acting performance of his goddamn career. It is is candy-colored overblown wish fulfillment trash and I have seen it three times over the past week and a half.
- The world is being buried in record amounts of snow, the Earth is transforming into an icy frozen hell orb, this is the beginning of the apocalypse and the end of life as we know it, and Boston is having so much fun that the mayor has had to make a public service announcement to tell residents to please stop jumping out of their windows into snow banks.
- The Lesbian Herstory Archives in Brooklyn are open this Saturday and also next Saturday from 4:30 to 7:30 pm.